There was once a speaker who told everyone what they wanted to hear. He said that if you followed his message you’d make more money, have better health, and people would just like you. His name was Mr. Little. People liked to hear him. Problem is, his message was lacking. In fact, some Christ followers began to listen to his messages, and found out the message wasn’t Christian at all.
You Might Be Like Mr. Little
Now, before you say…I’m nothing like Little….let me tell you that you might be like Mr. Little if…
- You believe that following Jesus means you’ll have an easy life.
- You believe that a good life means having lots of money and being super popular.
You Can Know More than Little
The truth is, you can know much more than Mr. Little.
- You can know how to be more than rich and better than happy.
- You can know more than a financially successful job; you can become a vital part of a world changing mission.
- You can know more than happiness; you can know joy.
- You can know more than popularity; you can find friends that stick closer than brothers.
- You can know more than being hot; you can find your true value.
- You can know more than fear and power; you can know love and peace.
- You can know more than how to become rich; you can know how to become blessed.
- You can know more than making the best of your situation; you can know the one who can change your situation for good.
- You can know more than seeking approval of the powerful; you can know the applause of heaven.
- You can know a blessing so great it can’t be measured in square feet, bank accounts, nor rungs on the ladder of achievement.
I’m not trying to get you to shoot lower. I want you to aim higher.
The truth is, the problem with Mr. Little is not that he’s promising too much. Rather, he’s going for too little.
Is it possible that we’re looking a little too low, we’re expecting too little, and being satisfied with mere crumbles?
“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.” C.S. Lewis
More Than You Can Ask or Imagine
So, don’t sell yourself short. You can know more than Little does, and you can get more than he promises. I, for one, am shooting for something bigger than Little can even imagine.
I’m shooting for something bigger than I can imagine, too.
“With God’s power working in us, God can do much, much more than anything we can ask or imagine. To him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus for all time, forever and ever. Amen,” Ephesians 3:20-21.
Question: How can I aim higher?